Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

JS Bach's Second Brandenburg Concerto

William F. Buckley Jr. the founder of National Review Magazine and it can be argued the founder of the modern conservative movement passed away today. He was around 83 years of age.

Modern Conservatism owes William F. Buckley Jr. much. It was due to his efforts that conservatism did not wither and die, it was due to his efforts that conservatism took a turn away from the nuttiness of the Cult of Rand (don't read too much into this, Ayn Rand has some good ideas but many who follow her philosophies too closely seem more cult members than anything else) or into the fluoride paranoia of the John Birch Society (neighbors of mine, The Empress and I live perhaps five blocks from their headquarters). William F. Buckley made it acceptable for people to differ on whether it was appropriate to jib or tack, just so long as the overall course of the sailboat was headed in the right direction. William F. Buckley Jr. was conservative before conservative was cool.

My first encounter with William F. Buckley Jr. was on the TV on Chestnut St. in Platteville just as I was coming out of a college trendy leftism spell. I see the commercial and hear him pitch his magazine with the allegro assai movement JS Bach's Second Brandenburg concerto in the background (IIRC). The advertisement also featured Tom Selleck pitching the magazine. I subscribed to the magazine and have pretty much been a steady subscriber since then (though at the moment I just don't have the time for it) and when I do get it and have the time it is read from cover to cover.

A couple of years ago browsing a thrift store I found one of his books in the used section. I purchased it and much to my delight, I found the book had been signed by William F. Buckley Jr. I got home excited and was started to work on a letter asking for a specimen of his signature so I could confirm the signature was his, but alas, that letter is still on my file-system.

In honor of the harpsichordist I present to you the allegro assai from JS Back's Second Brandenburg Concerto:


X-posted at the Blogger Beer.

Labels: ,