Badger Blog Alliance

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

New Take on Carbon Offsets

This has been all over the blogosphere today.

Norway is concerned that its national animal, the moose, is harming the climate by emitting an estimated 2,100 kilos of carbon dioxide a year through its belching and farting.
That's "equivalent to the CO2 output resulting from a 13,000 kilometer car journey," according to the article.

So let's see: 13,000 kilometers is 8,060 miles.

I drive 100 miles per day on my commute. That's 500 miles a week, 25,000 miles over 50 weeks.

That means I can offset my carbon footprint by killing 3.1 moose, which I'll round up to 4.

I could round it down, I think, since my car gets better-than-average gas mileage, but I've tasted mooseburger.

Say, how much is that in whitetails?